Antique Cavalry / Military Horse Figure / WWI Era
c. 1910-1930 US
***please study photos for details of this fabulous piece:
As best I can describe (as more as a horsewoman with knowledge of tack and
its history than a military historian) ***please message me with any information you have on this piece
- size 5" x 5 1/2"
- Made likely in the US or Germany
- horse hide over wood or metal - brown with black mane/tail
---horse hide has come away with some buckling of the hide over the horse's neck
- mane and tail made of horse hair
- black glass eyes, one has chip in center, leaving a whiteish divot in the center but doesn't really distract for the piece
- thin, delicate yellow fabric? bridle, reins, breastplate, pony crupper, and stirrup leathers
- - reins have broken at the right side, should be easily fixed
- red leather saddle over a saddle pad made of wool-looking yellow fabric with black trim
- metal stirrups
--In the US, the saddle blanket for cavalry was only yellow during WWI - although blankets were used more than pads
--- the saddle blanket has been navy blue with yellow trim has been used in all other wars:
the Revolutionary War, 1812... through today's 1st City Troop
--- In Germany, yellow blankets were sometimes used
- The bridle has gold/brass colored bridle rosettes with matching decorations on the saddle pads
- - This type of bridle rosette was popular during the 1860's - 1920's
***In good or better condition
-- I may be making assumptions here - I couldn't find this exact piece in my research - It's a great antique find!
If you purchased this item, go to My Account to view, track and check payment for this item.
WWI Cavalry Military Horse Figurine - horse hair over wood figure with leather saddle - 5" x 5 1/2"
$120 SALE PENDING
Email Shop Owner